Proposed text for Clause 9

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Thu Aug 22 17:18:54 CEST 2013

2013/8/13 Francis Cave <francis at franciscave.com>

> Murata-san
>
> I understand the distinction between MCE processors and markup consumers.
>
> > To me, markup consumers and MCE processors are very different.
> > Requirements on MCE processors have to be very clear.  Their behaviours
> are
> > complet[el]y predictable.  But requirements on markup consumers are much
> more
> > predictable.
>
> I think you mean that the requirements on markup consumers are much LESS
> predictable.

Right.

> But if the behaviours of MCE processors are completely predictable, should
> these not be specified normatively somewhere? If the behaviour of an MCE
> processor with respect to extension elements must be completely
> predictable,
> this behaviour must be specified normatively. Where is it to be specified?
> Either in the MCE spec or in the markup spec.
>
> At present, the behaviour of MCE processors for application-defined
extension elements is normative defined in several places:

  - the 4th bullet in the 1st itemized list in Step 1 in Clause 9
  - the 3rd bullet in the 2nd itemized list in Step 1 in Clause 9
  - the 4rd bullet in the 3rd itemized list in Step 1 in Clause 9
  - the 3rd bullet in the 1st itemized list in Step 2 in Clause 9
  - the 2nd bullet in the 2nd itemized list in Step 2 in Clause 9
  - The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd paragraphs in Step 4 in Clause 9

I think that my confusion is between the specification of extension elements