Pack URI scenario(s)

Arms, Caroline caar at loc.gov
Tue Aug 12 20:33:19 CEST 2014

I have been trying to read through Murata-san's draft, as I promised on the last call, and realize that it would help me to include some narrative, perhaps through an example, that explains why the Pack URI is important and in what OPC contexts it might be used.  In both the latest published edition of Part 2 and Murata-san's draft, there is inadequate explanation of the "why" of the Pack URI scheme as opposed to the "what."

On MSDN I find a helpful page related to pack: in the context of Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) within .NET.  Can anyone provide me with a real scenario in the OPC context?  If I knew that I understood at least one way in which it is used in practice myself, I might do a better job of constructing a sentence to explain to others.  For now, I understand what a Pack URI is (and the syntactical manipulations that are necessary to embed one URI into another)  but my concept of why or how it might come in useful in an OPC context is entirely hypothetical.  One or two real examples would help me out.

Pointers or other help welcomed.

   Thanks.   Caroline