WML document containing metadata as a foreign part

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Thu Aug 21 17:25:53 CEST 2014

Further to discussion on today's WG4 telecon, I attach a WML file in which I
have embedded some ONIX metadata - see docProps/onix.xml - which is one of
the metadata examples mentioned by Murata-san.

In _rels/.rels I have added:

<Relationship Target="docProps/onix.xml"
Type="http://www.example.com/relationships/foreign-metadata" Id="rId4">

If I open the document in MS Office (Word 2013), then save it, the foreign
part and associated Relationship are preserved.

However, if I open the same document in LibreOffice, then save it (in WML
format), the foreign part and associated Relationship are dropped.

So we cannot recommend this approach without making it clear that consuming
applications may choose to ignore such foreign parts.

Francis