Complex singularity versus openness?

Horton, Gareth Gareth_Horton at datawatch.com
Thu Jul 3 14:36:59 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I agree wholeheartedly with Caroline and understand Jim's frustration. As an implementer, I agree that it isn't simple, but it's certainly not impossible.

We have one very large, global customer who has been replacing and appending to named ranges in production XLSX files with new data from our application on a daily basis for 5 years without issue. Worldwide, they estimate the data volume to be approximately a Terabyte of data per day, so roughly 1.7 Petabytes over that time.

Of course there are bugs in the standard and doubtless in the interoperability of different implementations, but considering the massive data volumes (I'm speaking about SML) exchanged via serious (in many cases, non-Windows platform) implementations like POI, IBM Cognos, IBM TM1, SAP Business Objects, SAS, Tableau, QlikView and all the 3rd party component vendors like GemBox, Aspose, SpreadsheetGear, SyncFusion etc etc, I am not hearing about any avalanche of catastrophes in the financial world.

Gareth