OPC Core Properties -- WAS: My latest draft of OPC

caroline arms caroline.arms at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 13:46:56 CET 2017

Murata-san,

Thank you for generating a complete draft of this clause.  It is much
easier to evaluate when you can see it all together.  This set of
comments is from a straightforward read through your latest draft.  In
general, this seems considerably more readable than the previous
version I looked at.  Before the face-to-face, I plan to compare the
draft directly to the 2012 version.

    Hoping this helps.   Caroline

=====
Table 1.1
  Need to standardize on whether the Description entries end with
period or not.  If it would be permitted under ISO rules, I would like
the group to consider whether putting links to the DC elements into
the table makes sense.  An example is http://purl.org/dc/terms/subject

1.2   2nd para is missing closing period.

1.3.1 Last para.  Missing comma after version.   I would replace
"Here" by "In this example,".

1.3.3 Second para.  Says it's a note, but doesn't have [].  I'm not
sure why it should be a note.  Why not just add the sentence about the
namespace to the end of the first paragraph.

1.3.3. Third para.  For consistency, use "This standard" in place of
"This document."   "Neither" doesn't work with more than one item.

I suggest:
  In this standard, these elements shall not have child elements and
shall not have xsi:type or xml:lang attributes.

1.3.3.  Example numbering -- with one example referring immediately to
another is confusing.  This happens in several places.  One way to
address might be to invert the sentence, as in:
Four elements from Dublin Core Metadata Element Set, Version 1.1 are
in Example 10-1.

1.3.4   2nd para. Here the note does have enclosing [].  Again, I
wonder whether the sentence could not be combined with the previous
paragraph.

1.3.4   3rd para.  Again, I would use "standard" rather than
"document".  To match my suggestion for 1.3.3.
I suggest:
  In this standard, these elements shall not have child elements and
shall not have xml:lang attributes.

1.3.4.  Example numbering -- with one example referring immediately to
another is confusing.

1.3.5.  I would use "Standard" or "Specification" rather than
"Document" in the heading.

1.3.5   4th para.  typo in "xsd;string"  here and repeatedly in
following subclauses

1.3.5.3  2nd para.  "xm:lang" should be "xml:lang"  -- this typo is
also present more than once.
To me, the second sentence is awkward, although I realize that it is
lifted straight from Table 1 in the 2012 version.  If the only aspect
of a keyword that can be "flagged" is its language, I think that
should be made clear.

1.3.5.4 1st para.  I would use "keyword for the" rather than "keyword of the"

1.3.5.6  3rd para.  "xsd;dateTime" should be "xsd:dateTime"
I would like to see an example with time as well as date.

1.4
I would like to see a reference to the extensibility TR and have the
TR in a bibliography.

=====

I have one comment that does not relate to your changes.

 The value given for dc:subject in the examples is
  <dc:subject>Spec defines the schema for OPC Core Properties and
their location within the package</dc:subject>
This is not consistent with the intent of the element's usage in
Dublin Core.  See
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-subject

In Dublin Core -- dc:subject is, to quote, is typically "represented
using keywords, key phrases, or classification codes. Recommended best
practice is to use a controlled vocabulary."  In Dublin Core, although
not in OPC, all elements are repeatable.  The usual practice for
dc:subject is to have repeated elements, each with a term from a
controlled vocabulary.  The content of dc:subject in the OPC examples
is more consistent with the definition of dc:description.

I recommend changing the examples to use
  <dc:description>Spec defines the schema for OPC Core Properties and
their location within the package</dc:description>

=====