OPC Core Properties -- WAS: My latest draft of OPC

caroline arms caroline.arms at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 14:43:08 CET 2017

Murata-san,

Thank you for clarifying that your intention was to retain the table
at the beginning of the Core Properties clause.  That had not been
clear to me.

I would like to echo a comment made by Rex on yesterday's call that
Part 2 is so different from Parts 1 and 4 that it doesn't seem
necessary to follow the patterns established there in detail.  To me,
what matters is whether the clause is easy to understand.

My concern is that following the shape of your suggestion here will
make the Core Properties clause much more awkward to read than it need
be and than it is now.  For example, for the element "identifier" you
would need to look at the table to understand its semantics, to
http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/identifier to see what Dublin Core
actually defines it as (which your increased emphasis on the fact that
it is borrowed from Dublin Core seems to require), and to the schema
in our Annex to find that it is optional (although your suggested
re-write doesn't point there for the borrowed elements).

This all seems unnecessarily complex for elements that are almost all
of type xsd:string (or the equivalent SimpleLiteral from the Dublin
Core schemas our schema incorporates) and optional, and must not have
the xml:lang attribute.

And for dcterms:created and dcterms:modified, we also need to look at
10.5 Schema restrictions for Core Properties

This morning I have not come to a conclusion as to how I would try to
address your concerns about missing information without making the
clause more cumbersome, but I'd like to encourage you to include the
whole clause in your next re-write suggestion to make it easier to
review.

I need to turn to other matters now.

   Thanks.  Caroline

[Aside: The fact that our schema refers to
http://dublincore.org/schemas/xmls/qdc/2003/04/02/dc.xsd and
http://dublincore.org/schemas/xmls/qdc/2003/04/02/dcterms.xsd  for
typing is a complication we can't avoid.  I'm not sure I had looked at
those since they were first put together and it was strange to see the
names of good friends as the authors!]