DR 13-0014 — PML: omissions and inconsistencies in the specification of attributes - review of proposed resolution

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Mon Jun 19 12:00:11 CEST 2017

Hi all

I have reviewed Chris Rae's proposed resolution to DR 13-00014, based
upon his analysis of the behaviour of known implementations, which at
the London meeting in June 2015 we agreed was satisfactory, and on that
basis we agreed to close the DR. However, the DR was never closed in the
log, and as a result Murata-san added comments to the DR. I have
therefore also reviewed all Murata-san's comments.

Below are the results of my review for each subclause listed in the
original DR. In summary, we need further action on §19.5.4 animMotion
(@ptsTypes) and §19.5.28 cmd (@cmd, @type), which is what we
provisionally agreed in the meeting on 2017-06-19. All other items in
the DR are satisfactorily resolved by what Chris Rae proposed, in my
opinion.

Kind regards,

Francis

§19.2.1.17 kinsoku (@lang) (complex type: CT_Kinsoku)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to correct the schema to reflect that
@lang is required in all known implementations. We agreed in the WG 4
face-to-face meeting on 2017-06-19 that the prose should not
unnecessarily duplicate information in the schema, so no further action
is required.

§19.2.1.39 sldSz (@type) (complex type: CT_SlideSize)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to add prose to indicate how omission
of @type is to be interpreted. No default value can be specified in the
schema. No further action required.

§19.3.1.21 graphicFrame (@bwMode) (complex type: CT_GraphicalObjectFrame)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to add a default value "auto" to the
schema. We agreed in the WG 4 face-to-face meeting on 2017-06-19 that
the prose should not unnecessarily duplicate information in the schema,
so no further action is required.

§19.5.1 anim (@by, @calcmode, @from, @to, @valueType) (complex type:
CT_TLAnimateBehavior)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to add prose that specifies valid
combinations of the attributes @by, @from and @to, and to change the
schema to add default values "lin" and "num" for @calcMode and
@valueType respectively. We agreed in the WG 4 face-to-face meeting on
2017-06-19 that the prose should not unnecessarily duplicate information
in the schema, so no further action is required.

§19.5.2 animClr (@clrSpc) (complex type: CT_TLAnimateColorBehavior)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to remove non-normative text, to add
a note on color spaces, and to add a default value "rgb" to the schema.
We agreed in the WG 4 face-to-face meeting on 2017-06-19 that the prose
should not unnecessarily duplicate information in the schema, so no
further action is required.

§19.5.3 animEffect (@filter) (complex type: CT_TLAnimateEffectBehavior)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to add prose to indicate how omission
of @filter is to be interpreted. No default value can be specified in
the schema. No further action required.

§19.5.4 animMotion (@origin, @path, @pathEditMode, @ptsTypes, @rAng)
(complex type: CT_TLAnimateMotionBehavior)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to add prose to indicate how omission
of @ptsTypes is to be interpreted, and to change the schema to add
default values "parent", "" (null string), "relative" and "0" for
attributes @origin, @path, @pathEditMode and @rAng respectively. We
agreed in the WG 4 face-to-face meeting on 2017-06-19 that the prose
should not unnecessarily duplicate information in the schema, but no
default value for @ptsTypes can be specified in the schema, so additions
to the prose are needed. We agreed to remove quotation marks around
"Auto" in the added text. However, Murata-san has pointed out that, if
omission of @ptsTypes implies Auto behaviour, value "A" is in effect the
default value of the attribute. The prose already indicates that the
value "A" implies Auto behaviour.

ACTION REQUIRED: Either change the schema to add "A" as a default value
for @ptsTypes or, if we are uncertain about this, refer to the
PowerPoint team for further clarification.

§19.5.5 animRot (@by, @from, @to) (complex type:
CT_TLAnimateRotationBehavior)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to add prose that specifies valid
combinations of the attributes @by, @from and @to. No default values can
be specified in the schema for these attributes. No further action required.

§19.5.6 animScale (@zoomContents) (complex type: CT_TLAnimateScaleBehavior)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to add a default value "false" to the
schema. We agreed in the WG 4 face-to-face meeting on 2017-06-19 that
the prose should not unnecessarily duplicate information in the schema,
so no further action is required.

§19.5.22 cBhvr (@accumulate, @additive, @by, @from, @override, @rctx,
@to, @xfrmType) (complex type: CT_TLCommonBehaviorData)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to add prose to specify valid
combinations of the attributes @by, @from and @to, to improve the
description of @override, and to indicate how omission of @rctx is to be
interpreted. Chris Rae also proposes to change the schema to add default
values "base", "none", "pt" and "normal" for @accumulate, @additive,
@xfrmType and @override respectively. We agreed in the WG 4 face-to-face
meeting on 2017-06-19 that the prose should not unnecessarily duplicate
information in the schema, so no further action is required.

§19.5.28 cmd (@cmd, @type) (complex type: CT_TLCommandBehavior)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to add prose to specify that @cmd
must be present when @type is present, and to change the schema to add
default value "call" for @type. But, as Murata-san has commented, if
@type has a default value, this would seem to imply that @cmd is
mandatory, because the absence of @type is equivalent to @type being
present with value "call".

ACTION REQUIRED: Either change the schema to make @cmd required or, if
we are uncertain about this, refer to the PowerPoint team for
clarification.

§19.5.33 cTn (@afterEffect, @bldLvl, @display, @dur, @evtFilter, @fill,
@masterRel, @nodePh, @nodeType, @presetClass, @presetSubtype, @restart,
@syncBehavior, @tmFilter) (complex type: CT_TLCommonTimeNodeData)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to add prose to indicate how omission
of any of @bldLvl, @evtFilter, @fill, @masterRel, @nodeType,
@presetClass, @syncBehaviour and @tmFilter is to be interpreted, and to
change the schema to add default values "0", "0", "always", "true",
"false" and "false" for attributes @presetSubType, @dur, @restart,
@display, @afterEffect and @nodePh respectively. We agreed in the WG 4
face-to-face meeting on 2017-06-19 that the prose should not
unnecessarily duplicate information in the schema, so no further action
is required.

§19.5.39 endSync (@delay, @evt) (complex type: CT_TLTimeCondition)

Chris Rae's proposed resolution is to add prose to indicate how omission
of @evt is to be interpreted, and to change the schema to add default
value "0" for attribute @delay. We agreed in the WG 4 face-to-face