ODF Errata discussion (earlier - Re: REMINDER AND DRAFT AGENDA - Teleconference meeting of WG 6, 2010-06-23 at 13:00 UTC)

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Wed Jun 23 17:41:04 CEST 2010

The preferred term is OpenDocument consumer, although we don't use that term
consistently until ODF 1.2.  For ODF 1.0/1.1 we should probably use the term
that is prevalent in that document.

I like the rewording you've just proposed because it is based on the schema,
although we need to make sure that this does not apply to sub-elements that
are specified to have text.

It is important to eliminate the "In conformance with the W3C XML
specification [XML 1.0] ..." phrasing because there is no such requirement
in [XML 1.0] as Alex points out.  We should also roll the rewording here
into ODF 1.2 (which already eliminates the "in conformance" phrase).  It is
much better than anything I have seen before.

How about,

"An ODF processor shall ignore white space that appears directly as
character data in elements declared not to contain text content in the
OpenDocument schema."

This leaves open issues around this with regard to elements included from
namespaces for which the OpenDocument specification is not the authority.
It also begs the question with regard to foreign elements.  But what you and
Alex have come up with here seems to be the best simple statement so far.

 - Dennis