[sc34-wg1]

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 11:57:54 CET 2010

Andrew hi

Many thanks for doing this - this looks like an excellent basis for moving forward.

One thing that caught my eye is this opening words, which I hope this group will be able to work on unpacking a bit: "ZIP archive compression is a long-standing, widely-adopted technology described by PKWARE in their ZIP Application Note".

So, breaking this down:

> ZIP archive compression is a long-standing, widely-adopted technology ...

Might it be more correct to call Zip a "family" of technologies since, as we discussed on our last call, many variants are in use at any one time? Granted, it may be a closely related technology family, and may well exhibit a good deal of forwards-compatibility - but for newcomers coming to our work I think it's important to understand that we're not talking about "one spec; one implementation" but something a little subtler than that.

> ... described by PKWARE in their ZIP Application Note

The PKWare appnote is one description of Zip, a couple of others I can think of are the (derivative) Info-Zip series of app notes; and a further description of Zip is what existing application *do*, and what existing archives *contain* (and, in any contest between the written spec and existing practice, it is probably the case that the latter "wins"). Does anybody know of any other sources of Zip specification?

You mention in particular the Java Zip ecosystem. If we look at:

http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/jar/package-summary.html

We see that "JAR format is based on the Info-ZIP file format" and from there we can follow a link to the Info-Zip application note 970331 (the link is dead, but I've put a live link on the Wiki). Unsurprisingly, this is the very same document which specifies the "Zip" of ISO/IEC 26300 (ODF 1.0). Later versions of the Info-Zip note describe the FOSS "Zip" tools that enjoy very wide use throughout the industry.

So, as I understand it, it is possible to create Zip archives that conform to PKWare's latest appnote that will not interoperate with tools/archives from (in this example) the Java Zip ecosystem ... this is why I think we need to be very careful about asserting that "Zip == PKWare appnote" without qualification - my Zip and your Zip may be different.

Does anybody have information about what the .NET ecosystem expects in its Zips? I imagine C/C++ programmers most usually reach for the Info-Zip libraries when using Zip ...

The other issue here is the mention of "*their* ZIP Application Note" in relation to PKWare. In the Tokyo WG 1 meeting there was quite some interest in the topic of whether/how the Zip specification was in the public domain, and in particular the wording of the press release copied at:

http://cd.textfiles.com/pcmedic9310/MAIN/MISC/COMPRESS/ZIP.PRS

in which PKWare and Infinity Design Concepts Inc. wrote (rather wonderfully): "[t]he ZIP file format is given freely into the public domain and can be claimed neither legally nor morally by any individual, entity or company (or any other sentient creature in the universe.)" So I also think we need to be careful about asserting ownership of the format - might it be more correct (and neutral) to say that PKWare has played a major role in maintaining and extending a specification of the format?

- Alex.