UTF-8 in ZIP

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 3 14:38:43 CET 2010

Alex Brown <alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk> wrote on 11/03/2010 09:13:52 AM:

> Rob hi
>
> > Better for whom?
>
> The ISO/IEC Directive Part 1 Clause 3 state:
>
> "any party participating in the work of the Organizations should,
> from the outset, draw their attention to any known patent or to any
> known pending patent application, either their own or of other
organizations.

> In this context, the words "from the outset" imply that such
> information should be disclosed as early as possible during the
> development of the Recommendation / Deliverable."

So you want me to draw your attention to "any known patent or to any known
pending patent application"?  Seriously?

OK.  I know a patent.  It is US 5,555,555 "Apparatus Which Detects Lines
Approximating an Image".

I also know another patent: US 4,444,444 "Equipment for storage of energy
under kinetic form"

Shall I go on?  I know that there are approximately 7 million patents and
patent applications.

But to be fair, Keanu Reeves is also known to me, though I have never met
or seen him in person.  And I know of Albania, though I have never had the
pleasure of visiting.

What now?

In any case I think you are dodging my question.  Better for whom?  The
Directives state this as a recommendation, not a requirement.  So who
benefits from showing all their cards up front?  And what can SC34 offer
that makes the entities that actually hold the cards do this?  There is
certainly no compulsion.  So I think this suggests that SC34 either lower
its expectations, or that they make a case for why the parties that have
what you want should give you what you want.  In other words, you need to
consider what is to their benefit as well.  I think that is the fastest
way to forging a compromise here.

-Rob