UTF-8 in ZIP

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 15:04:48 CET 2010

Rob hi

I think it's understood that the Directives mean patents which apply to Recommendations/Deliverables under development -- if we've really got the spare time to spend picking holes in the wording of the Directives, then I'm sure it could all be consumed very easily doing just that!

> Better for whom?

It is better for all of us in this group to concentrate on the task in hand, in happy accord with the Directives which govern our work, rather than debate about why they were written that way - interesting though that may be.

If I were to guess at the reasoning behind this, I would say that the IPR regime governing a specification will materially affect the process of standardizing it. If a project reached FDIS stage and it suddenly emerged at that late stage that a patent holder was not willing to negotiate licenses of an in-scope technology on acceptable terms, that project would be jeopardised or destroyed by that revelation, and a lot of time will have been wasted.

Or, as the Directives put it:

"The Patent Policy encourages the early disclosure and identification of Patents that may relate to Recommendations/ Deliverables under development. In doing so, greater efficiency in standards development is possible and potential patent rights problems can be avoided."

- Alex.