Questions re the NWIP on a profile standard

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Wed Nov 24 20:02:10 CET 2010

Not having attended either teleconference, no doubt I'm missing some
background; however, I have some questions.

1. I was assuming the study period would result in one or more
recommendations, but that it would not itself be taking any other action
prior to its report being presented next March. What will happen with the
NWIP text being drafted? Does WG1 see itself as submitting that? If so,
when?

2. Regarding a profile standard are you assuming that "one size fits all"
users? That is, will it be exactly what both ODF and OOXML need? For
example, it is quite likely that these standards reference different
versions of the Appnote.

3. We can't assume that all the ODF and OOXML (and other) players are
participating in this study period, so there will need to be time for
members of WG4, WG6, and [given ODF's being a PAS submission,] OASIS's
originating TC, to review your recommendations and to comment. [Separately,
I liaise between WG4 and Ecma TC46, XML Paper Specification, as the XPS spec
builds on OPC, which in turn builds on ZIP.] What is the plan to get formal
feedback from these groups? Assuming the final set of recommendations will
not be complete much before the March plenary it seems that such a formal
review by these groups would need to come after that.

IS 29500 Project Editor