Questions re the NWIP on a profile standard

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 13:24:17 CET 2010

Rex hi

On (1) I'm not sure whether a Working Group has the authority to make a new work item proposal -- does a WG count as a "another technical committee or subcommittee" (Directives, 2.3.2) ?

In any case I believe the intention is merely to circulate the text of any such proposal to SC 34 in advance of the Prague plenary, so that SC 34 can decide how to proceed then. I had suggested a mid-February deadline for this, BUT checking the new combined Directives I see (4.2.1.3) that

"any [...] proposals for the addition [to the agenda] of new work item proposals should be sent to the committee secretariat by the members not later than two months before the meeting".

- so that gives us a deadline of the end of January if we want to circulate such a proposal.

On (2) I am myself not sure whether the experts are agreeing to produce a specific profile for SC 34's immediate ODF/OOXML needs, or a general-purpose modularisation which may be used for these purposes and others. It is not necessary for a proposal to enumerate detailed technical constraints (that is more the result of the  onward work), and a proposal could indicate that stakeholders are to be consulted to ensure the that a goal of compatibility is achieved. What do the experts think?

On (3) this activity has been widely announced and WG 4 and WG 6 experts are engaged. I am mindful of the fact that in the Tokyo WG 1 meeting, there was a string consensus from the NB representatives present that there should be some kind of progress on this activity by the time of the next plenary, and that is why WG 1 was tasked with producing something for then. Right now the mechanism for feeding back into WG 1 is by participation in the study activity. On the specific question of a NWIP I expect a draft will need to appear fairly soon and be circulated in order to have a good chance of garnering feedback -- if a draft is produced, circulated to SC 34 at the end of January, and it turns out there is insufficient consensus over its content, it is in danger of not making smooth progress in Prague.

- Alex.