My action item: Letter to the W3C Web Applications WG

Caroline Arms caar at loc.gov
Fri Oct 30 14:25:03 CET 2009

Makoto,

I don't see Rick as urging "harmonization," but as making suggestions that help avoid unnecessary problems for people who want/need to use both standards in the future.  My initial reaction to his draft was extremely positive.  I'm thinking about the evidence of a careful reading and suggestions based on the perspective of users -- I'm assuming that he mentions the right topics.  Based on your reaction, I might suggest a slight softening of (2) in tone.

Something like:

2) Terminology differences frequently cause problems for users of standards.  The OPC specification includes conceptual terms and references potentially relevant to the Widgets specification, notably in areas such as the ZIP subset, part concept, the part-to-name mapping, the pack scheme and UTF-8 usage. We commend consideration of these to the Web Applications WG.

What do you think?   Rick should clearly chime in if he objects to my rewording.

  Caroline

Caroline Arms
Library of Congress Contractor
Co-compiler of Sustainability of Digital Formats resource
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/

** Views expressed are personal and not necessarily those of the institution **
>>> "MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp> 10/30/09 3:11 AM >>>
Rick,

I would like to hear opinions of other members of WG4, but I am
not very keey on harmonization.  (It could have happended when
XML packages were discussed in W3C last century, but I guess
that it is away too late now.)  I also feel that your suggestions
2) and 3) will not be welcome by W3C.