DR 10-0014 — General: references to proprietary technologies

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 1 01:00:43 CET 2010

http://cid-c8ba0861dc5e4adc.office.live.com/view.aspx/Public%20Documents/2010/DR-10-0014.docx

This DR covers the use of the unexplained term "OLE DB" in Part 1 and requests that we either remove these, generalise them to a proprietary technology or provide a normative definition of that technology.

I'd like to propose that we generalise these. The attached changes to the standard effect that. There are a couple of areas where OLE DB-specific data appeared in the standard - in order to help implementers who are interoperating with MS Office I've moved those into informative text rather than removed them completely.

There are a few areas changed by this DR, so I'd appreciate a couple more eyes on the text to make sure I've made the changes correctly.

There's probably not too much urgency in looking at this (or any others I email through this week) as I should have time to explain them all in detail next week.