stylesWithEffects / musings ?

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Thu Feb 11 10:57:16 CET 2010

Dear all,

Poring over some office-o-tron logs I'm coming across an OPC Relationship:

<Relationship Id="rId3" Type="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2007/relationships/stylesWithEffects" Target="stylesWithEffects.xml" />

The pointed-at document has a root element of w:styles in the Standard's Namespace ("http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/2006/main") and so should be validated according to the Standard schemas, yet what specifies the relationship between documents and schemas?

Are extension writers permitted to create extensions in the Standard namespaces? Should they be? Can they re-define the semantics of standardized elements?

Should a validator inspect XML document for known Namespaces and apply schemas as appropriate, I wonder.?

- Alex.

--
Alex Brown
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34/WG 1