proposal of non-normative regex and text for DR 09-0061, ST_Panose issue

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 14 22:40:21 CEST 2011

Hi Suzuki-san - many thanks for putting this together.

I agree that this information is useful, but it contains implementation details that aren't covered anywhere else in the standard so I don't think it ought to be informative. That said, I am not completely sure that it ought to be normative either. Typically in the standard have steered clear of describing what to do with invalid values, and the proposed text really just describes what Microsoft Office does with invalid Panose values. We could perhaps declare in IS 29500 that the value must contain a Panose-1 value, and then Microsoft should fully document in their implementer notes the process you outline in this text (along with any other detail or restrictions that we find).

Others on WG4 - what do you think of this approach? Suzuki-san, is the situation common enough that we really should document how to deal with invalid data?