DR 11-0021 ? WML: Support for DrawingML inadequately specified

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Fri Jun 10 00:21:09 CEST 2011

Hi Murata-san - let's indeed talk about this in Berlin, but as the submitter I ought to admit that this was a mistake on my part rather than a deliberate omission - typically when we write up schema changes we only do so once in DRs, but they apply to both Parts 1 and 4. Because the text of Part 4 inherently incorporates Part 1, schema changes must all be replicated unless the DR incorporates a modification to Part 4 stating the removal or exclusion of the feature.

As an implementer I would much prefer that these changes were also adopted in Part 4, as otherwise we are going to experience data loss when converting Strict documents to Transitional ones and there will be no option in Transitional documents but to use VML inside WordprocessingML (even if the implementer is using DrawingML in the other MLs).

As you say, though, this bleeds very much into the "freezing part 4" discussion, and so we should probably continue it in Berlin.