Relative references (A.3)

John Haug johnhaug at exchange.microsoft.com
Sat Aug 9 00:39:29 CEST 2014

Re: the list of steps in A.3 (last noted in the Prague minutes)...

We had a lengthy discussion about this in Prague.  I asserted that the input string to the steps in A.3 isn't a "relative reference" as defined in RFC 3986, but merely a string in file content that was intended to *represent* a relative reference and which might need clean-up preprocessing before being processed by the RFC's relative reference resolution algorithm.  According to my notes, we didn't discuss this further in the previous call, so here is some further info from the OPC designers I traded mail with recently.  (Yes, I'm catching up on SC 34 work today!)

"IMO the point here is that OPC provides the normative way of resolving Unicode strings that represent relative references to parts in a package [Annex A. first line] to part names. It does not pretend to specify how any reference that may occur in the user-defined content shall be processed. At this point it is a duty of processing application to decide which reference in the content fit the condition above, but if it decides it fits, resolving it to part name must follow the spec (= Annex A)."

Fortunately, my interpretation seems to align with their intention.  That is, the consuming application needs to interpret the string in the file and, if it determines that the string represents a relative reference, to preprocess it as specified in Annex A, which culminates in running it through the RFC algorithm.  I hope that helps to hear from the designers, since none of us could be 100% certain what the underlying intent was.

John