"Content type" and "media type"

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sat Aug 9 04:41:16 CEST 2014

Caroline,

Thank you for your analysis.  This is very helpful.

RFC 2616 defines HTTP 1.1, but there are two
important RFCs.  They are:

   [RFC2045]         Freed, N. and N. Borenstein, "Multipurpose Internet
                     Mail Extensions (MIME) Part One: Format of Internet
                     Message Bodies", RFC 2045, November 1996.

   [RFC2046]         Freed, N. and N. Borenstein, "Multipurpose Internet
                     Mail Extensions (MIME) Part Two: Media Types",
                     RFC 2046, November 1996.

I believe that they are more authoritative about media types.

[snip]

> 4.  The fact that OPC allows "parameters" in the media-type syntax to be
> disallowed (and XPS does disallow them) seems like another reason to keep
> the terms distinct.

OPC now allows parameters.  An ugly regular expression
in opc-contentTypes.xsd does allow parameters.  I do not
think that parameters are useful but should we drop them
from OPC?