Reviving 30114-2: which location for character checking?

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sat Dec 6 14:20:36 CET 2014

I am wondering whether character repertoire checking. should
be applied t o sublanguages of OOXML.

1) DrawingML and VML,

First, should character checking be applied
to text constructs of DrawingML?

Second, should DrawingML elements
in WML, SML, and PML parts be checked?
Should those in standalone DrawingML parts be
checked? (see A.1)

Third, should we explicitly specify constraints
for top-level elements of DrawingML
subtrees?  Or, should DrawingML inherit
constraints from ancestor WML/PML/SML
elements or those parts that reference
DrawingML parts?

2) VML,

First, should character checking be applied
to text constructs within VML?

Second, should VML elements in WML parts be checked?
(Note: No PML or SML parts contain VML.) Should those in a
standalone VML part be checked?(see A.2)

Third, should we explicitly specify constraints
for top-level elements of VML
subtrees?  Or, should VML inherit
constraints from ancestor WML
elements or those parts that reference
VML parts?

3) Others

There are some other sublanguages in OOXML.
Specifically, do we need character checking for
Office Math Markup Language (OMML)?

A.1 Parts containing DrawingML elements

DrawingML Chart
DrawingML Chart Drawing
DrawingML Diagram Colors
DrawingML Diagram Data
DrawingML Diagram Layout Definition
DrawingML Diagram Style
DrawingML Table Styles
DrawingML Theme
DrawingML Theme Override
PresentationML Handout Master
PresentationML Notes Master
PresentationML Notes Slide
PresentationML Presentation
PresentationML Presentation Properties
PresentationML Slide
PresentationML Slide Layout
PresentationML Slide Master
PresentationML View Properties
SpreadsheetML Comments
SpreadsheetML Dialogsheet
SpreadsheetML Drawing
SpreadsheetML VML Drawing
SpreadsheetML Worksheet
WordprocessingML Comments
WordprocessingML Document Settings
WordprocessingML Endnotes
WordprocessingML Footer
WordprocessingML Footnotes
WordprocessingML Glossary Document
WordprocessingML Header
WordprocessingML Main Document
WordprocessingML Numbering Definitions

A.2 Parts containing VML elements

SpreadsheetML_VML_Drawing
WordprocessingML_Comments
WordprocessingML_Document_Settings
WordprocessingML_Endnotes
WordprocessingML_Footer
WordprocessingML_Footnotes
WordprocessingML_Glossary_Document
WordprocessingML_Header
WordprocessingML_Main_Document
WordprocessingML_Numbering_Definitions

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I have the same question about PML.  Which element of
> PML captures run-like and paragraph-like constructs?
>
> Here is a proposal for PML.
>
> 1) Status quo
>
> None.
>
> 2) Already agreed
>
> presentation (root of the Main Presentation part , applies to the entire
> presentation)
>
> 3) Others
>
> sld/cSld (entire slide)
> notes/cSld (entire note)
> sldLayout/cSld (slide layout)
> sldMaster/cSld (slide master)
> handoutMaster/cSld (handout master)
> notesMaster/cSld (notes master)
>
> Character repertoire checking for masters and slides layout
> might be unnecessary.  Then, we only need the first two.

>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> I am not quite sure about SML  We agreed to
>> allow character repertoire checking for
>> run-like and paragraph-like constructs of SML.  But
>> which element of SML captures such constructs?
>>
>> The rest is not so difficult.  Here is a proposal.
>>
>> 1) Status quo
>>
>> sml:c (cells in SML)
>>
>> 2) Already agreed
>>
>> with a range expresssion, sml:worksheet (root of the Worksheet part,
>> applies to the entire worksheet)
>>
>> 3) Others
>>
>> sml:workbook (root of the Workbook part, applies to the entire workbook)
>> sml:col (a column in the Worksheet part, applies to a column)
>> sml:row (a row in the Worksheet part, applies to a row)
>> sml:comments (root of the Comments part, applies to this part)
>>

>> Regards,
>> Makoto

>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Here is a proposed list of WML locations for character repertoire
>>> checking.
>>>
>>> 1) Status quo
>>>
>>> w:sdtPr (structured document tags)
>>>
>>> 2) Already agreed
>>>
>>> w:sectPr (sections in WML)
>>> w:style (paragraph and runs by style names in WML)
>>>
>>> 3) Others
>>>
>>> w:settings (root of the Document Settings part, applies to the entire
>>> WML document)
>>> w:comments (root of the Comments part, applies to all comments)
>>> w:endnotes (root of the Endnotes part, applies to all endnotes)
>>> w:ftr (root of the Footnotes part, applies to all footnotes)
>>> w:body (root of the Main Document, applies to the maing document)