DR 14-0011: SML: Attribute Value of “none”

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 9 21:51:27 CET 2015

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx/Public%20Documents/2014/DR-14-0011.docx?cid=C8BA0861DC5E4ADC

Apologies for the HTML email but it’s a little easier to cover this using formatting. If anyone can’t read it, let me know and I’ll send a PDF.

This DR discusses the attribute value of “none”, whether it is a worthwhile feature and whether behaviour is correctly specified in all cases. There is some cross-over with the other DRs which cover optional attributes with no behaviour described when they are missing.

There are 70 types in schema that declare a enumeration value of “none”. Those are then used by a large number of elements in Part 1. I’ve looked through all of these and made some changes in the attached document – a summary of those changes and my investigation is in the table shown here:

attribute name

Of type

Chris notes

vertical

ST_VerticalAlignment

Microsoft implementer note exists; added default ('bottom') in schema.

flip

ST_TileFlipMode

Added default 'none' in schema (from practical testing)

flip

ST_TileFlipMode

Added default 'none' in schema (from practical testing)

type

ST_LineEndType

Added default 'none' in schema (from practical testing)

wrap

ST_TextWrappingType

Behaviour adequately described

ST_TextUnderlineType

Behaviour adequately described

cap

ST_TextCapsType

Microsoft implementer note exists; added default ('none') in schema. Also corrected poor wording in prose.

nextAc

ST_TLNextActionType

Behaviour adequately described

prevAc

ST_TLPreviousActionType

Behaviour adequately described

additive

ST_TLBehaviorAdditiveType

Covered in DR 13-0014

accumulate

ST_TLBehaviorAccumulateType

Covered in DR 13-0014

transition

ST_TLAnimateEffectTransition

Checked imp notes

patternType

ST_PatternType

Behaviour adequately described

val

ST_Underline

Covered in DR 13-0013

combineBrackets

ST_CombineBrackets

Behaviour adequately described

wrap

ST_Wrap

Behaviour adequately described

dropCap

ST_DropCap

Behaviour adequately described

leader

ST_TabTlc

Behaviour adequately described

val

ST_Zoom

Behaviour adequately described

edit

ST_DocProtect

Behaviour adequately described

numFmt

ST_NumberFormat

Behaviour adequately described

clear

ST_BrClear

Behaviour adequately described

edGrp

ST_EdGrp

Covered in DR 13-0013

themeColor

ST_ThemeColor

Covered in DR 13-0013

themeColor

ST_ThemeColor

Covered in DR 13-0013

themeColor

ST_ThemeColor

Covered in DR 13-0013

themeColor

ST_ThemeColor

Covered in DR 13-0013

themeFill

ST_ThemeColor

Covered in DR 13-0013

themeColor

ST_ThemeColor

Covered in DR 13-0013

While one could argue that it’s not necessary to have a enumerated value on an attribute that causes the same behaviour as when the attribute is missing, I think the value of removing this doesn’t make it worthwhile losing compatibility with existing Office applications.

The specific example given by the submitter (@patternType on patternFill) is, I think, already covered adequately by the standard. The fill style of ‘non’ is defined in 18.18.55:

none (None)

The fill style is none (no fill). When foreground and/or background colors are specified, a pattern of 'none'  overrides and means the cell has no fill.

[Example:
[cid:image001.png at 01D04460.8A8D0030]
end example]

… and the behaviour when the attribute is missing is described in 18.8.32 (patternFill):

patternType (Pattern Type)

Specifies the fill pattern type (including solid and none) Default is none, when missing.

The possible values for this attribute are defined by the ST_PatternType simple type (§18.18.55).