DR 11-0029: My ideas for improving 12.4 (Digital Signature Markup)

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Fri May 6 07:59:43 CEST 2016

Dear colleagues,

I have four ideas for improving 12.4 of the OPC WD.

1. Define conformance requirements on data rather than
those on consumers and producers.

In standardizing document formats, it is a well
established practice to begin with data conformance and
later introduce application conformance if it is indeed
necessary.  This is because data conformance can be much
more easily tested than application conformance.
Moreover, data conformance tends to be more succinct.

2. Be consistent in borrowing the DSig elements: either
introduce a subclause for each element or introduce no
such dedicated subclauses.

I demonstrated problems of the current text in a separate
mail. http://mailman.vse.cz/pipermail/sc34wg4/2016-May/003843.html

3. Reword 12.4.2 (Modifications to the XML Digital
Signature Specification) as a non-normative overview.

This subclauses has two problems.  First, it is not
comprehensive, but rather dense.  Second, requirements in
this subclause should not be separated from other
requirements in other subclauses of 12.4.

4. Move the example in 12.6 (Digital Signature Example)
to the beginning of 12.4, and further introduce an
explanatory diagram.