FW: DR-16-0003; feedback from Charlie

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Tue Mar 7 18:02:49 CET 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: Charlie Clark [mailto:charlie at begeistert.org]
Sent: Monday, March 6, 2017 1:51 PM
To: Rex Jaeschke <rex at rexjaeschke.com>
Subject: DR-16-0003

Hi Rex,

sorry but I must have missed an e-mail asking for my feedback on this. I have to agree that fortunately the problem isn't with an overly zealous enforcing of the version by Microsoft Excel but interoperability is still a problem. The enclosed files differ solely in the name of the application that created them but in Excel they render completely differently. It is obviously in the spirit of interoperability that this metadata is as accurate as possible so that files created by Charlie's Wonderful OOXML Library can be correctly identified as the source of problems. If, however, I have to say the creating app was "Microsoft Excel" just so charts render properly then identifying the source of problems is going to be very hard and the appearance of the chart should not be affected by this.

In summary, not a bug in the specification but a major hindrance to interoperability because Microsoft Excel relies on the App Version.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Kronenstr. 27a