OPC Core Properties -- WAS: My latest draft of OPC

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sun May 14 09:17:58 CEST 2017

Caroline,

Sorry for my belated reply.  I revised my document according to your
comments.

The revised doc is available at

https://1drv.ms/w/s!An5Z79wj5AZBgetAeukVNMdev5h9bA

> Murata-san,
>
> Thank you for generating a complete draft of this clause.  It is much
> easier to evaluate when you can see it all together.  This set of
> comments is from a straightforward read through your latest draft.  In
> general, this seems considerably more readable than the previous
> version I looked at.  Before the face-to-face, I plan to compare the
> draft directly to the 2012 version.
>
>     Hoping this helps.   Caroline
>
> =====
> Table 1.1
>   Need to standardize on whether the Description entries end with
> period or not.  If it would be permitted under ISO rules,

Done.  Each entry now ends with a period.

> I would like
> the group to consider whether putting links to the DC elements into
> the table makes sense.  An example is http://purl.org/dc/terms/subject

Not done yet.  Added an editorial note for this change.

> 1.2   2nd para is missing closing period.

Done.

> 1.3.1 Last para.  Missing comma after version.   I would replace
> "Here" by "In this example,".

Done.

> 1.3.3 Second para.  Says it's a note, but doesn't have [].  I'm not
> sure why it should be a note.  Why not just add the sentence about the
> namespace to the end of the first paragraph.

I think that it should be a note since it is not this spec that
specifies this namespace normatively.  Added [ and ].

> 1.3.3. Third para.  For consistency, use "This standard" in place of
> "This document."

Under the revised directives, "this document" is a correct and
convenient term.

> "Neither" doesn't work with more than one item.
>
> I suggest:
>   In this standard, these elements shall not have child elements and
> shall not have xsi:type or xml:lang attributes.

Done.

> 1.3.3.  Example numbering -- with one example referring immediately to
> another is confusing.  This happens in several places.  One way to
> address might be to invert the sentence, as in:
> Four elements from Dublin Core Metadata Element Set, Version 1.1 are
> in Example 10-1.

We never number examples in other parts of ISO/IEC 29500.  I have
removed all example numbers from this document.  We have to
do the same thing to entire Part 2.

> 1.3.4   2nd para. Here the note does have enclosing [].  Again, I
> wonder whether the sentence could not be combined with the previous
> paragraph.

Again,  I think that this should be a note.

> 1.3.4   3rd para.  Again, I would use "standard" rather than
> "document".  To match my suggestion for 1.3.3.

Again, "document" is correct.  But I rewrote this sentence.

> I suggest:
>   In this standard, these elements shall not have child elements and
> shall not have xml:lang attributes.
>
> 1.3.4.  Example numbering -- with one example referring immediately to
> another is confusing.

No numbering any more.

> 1.3.5.  I would use "Standard" or "Specification" rather than
> "Document" in the heading.

"Document" is a correct term.  It does not have to be written
when a TS becomes and IS, for example.

> 1.3.5   4th para.  typo in "xsd;string"  here and repeatedly in
> following subclauses

Done.

> 1.3.5.3  2nd para.  "xm:lang" should be "xml:lang"  -- this typo is
> also present more than once.

Done, thanks.

> To me, the second sentence is awkward, although I realize that it is
> lifted straight from Table 1 in the 2012 version.  If the only aspect
> of a keyword that can be "flagged" is its language, I think that
> should be made clear.

I tried to rewrite this sentence.  Comments welcome.

> 1.3.5.4 1st para.  I would use "keyword for the" rather than "keyword of
> the"

Done.

> 1.3.5.6  3rd para.  "xsd;dateTime" should be "xsd:dateTime"
> I would like to see an example with time as well as date.

Done.

> 1.4
> I would like to see a reference to the extensibility TR and have the
> TR in a bibliography.

Not done yet.  I added an editor's note.

> =====
>
> I have one comment that does not relate to your changes.
>
>  The value given for dc:subject in the examples is
>   <dc:subject>Spec defines the schema for OPC Core Properties and
> their location within the package</dc:subject>
> This is not consistent with the intent of the element's usage in
> Dublin Core.  See
> http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-subject
>
> In Dublin Core -- dc:subject is, to quote, is typically "represented
> using keywords, key phrases, or classification codes. Recommended best
> practice is to use a controlled vocabulary."  In Dublin Core, although
> not in OPC, all elements are repeatable.  The usual practice for
> dc:subject is to have repeated elements, each with a term from a
> controlled vocabulary.  The content of dc:subject in the OPC examples
> is more consistent with the definition of dc:description.
>
> I recommend changing the examples to use
>   <dc:description>Spec defines the schema for OPC Core Properties and
> their location within the package</dc:description>

Done.  If somebody does not like this change, please respond.