Comments on Latest OPC draft -- Clause 12 (Digital signatures)

caroline arms caroline.arms at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 18:19:30 CEST 2018

I started my review of the draft with Clause 12 -- as the most recent
changes.

I hope these help.  Caroline

General comments:

Referring to W3C Recommendation “XML-Signature Syntax and Processing”.
Most frequently it is referred to as "XML-Signature Syntax and Processing"
but in some places, perhaps only in 12.8 and 12.9, it is referred to as " the
W3C recommendation."  We should probably be consistent.

I think it would be helpful to refer to the Relationships namespace and
associated schema for all OPC-specific elements somewhere early on, perhaps
in 12.2 (although maybe it needs to be in normative text).

I also think it would be useful to have a reference to §8.5.5.3 (currently
titled Relationships Part around Digital Signature) in §12.4 or earlier --
§12.4 mentions the relationships associated with digital signatures but
doesn't say anything about them.

Aside: I suggest changing the title for §8.5.5.3 to Relationships Parts
related to Digital Signature Markup.  Notice the suggestion that Part be
made plural -- because there are two Relationships Parts associated with
any digital signature (see diagrams).

Specific comments:

12.3
"to sign" should be "to be signed"

12.5.3
2nd sentence.  I would change "the OPC-specific" to "an OPC-specific"

12.5.7
last sentence in first para should be two sentences.  Break before first
"its"
" This element is OPC-specific, its namespace is shown in Annex E, and its
schema definition is in Annex C.4. "
"This element is OPC-specific. Its namespace is shown in Annex E, and its
schema definition is in Annex C.4."

12.5.8
as for 12.5.7

12.6
Step 2.4)
remove comma pair surrounding "either have an Id value that matches a
SourceId value"
I'm not sure that putting "or" in italics is consistent with our document
style.
I would add "have" after "or"

12.7
The added text explaining the example is welcome.

First or second sentence.  I think the use of the pds: prefix in the
example could usefully be mentioned up front somewhere, without requiring
digging into the long example.

Last sentence of the narrative before the actual example
Should Signature be SignatureValue here

12.8 and 12.9
These are the sections that refer to    W3C Recommendation “XML-Signature
Syntax and Processing”     differently from references in earlier
subclauses.

"as per" does not strike me as consistent with usual style in
specifications, particularly at the beginning of a sentence.  In the
instances here, I would use "following the steps in" or "Follow the steps
in" depending on position in sentence.