DR 17-0035

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Wed Apr 4 18:42:54 CEST 2018

I understand your concern. The term “limit” is not appropriate in all cases. How about something like the following?

n-ary operator — An mathematical operator that involves n terms when expanded , typically a single operator character, optionally accompanied by superscript or subscript expressions, or both, representing the domain or limits of the mathematical operation. For instance, the following example uses the Unicode (ISO 10646) summation sign (U+2211) which has the official name “N-ARY SUMMATION”.

However, this suggests that the description of the element limLoc (§22.1.2.53) needs to be adjusted in a similar way, e.g.

This element specifies the location of limits, i.e. superscript or subscript expressions representing a domain or limits according to the mathematical operation,  in n-ary operators. Limits can be either centered above and below the n-ary operator (shown in the first summation example below), or positioned just to the right of the operator (shown in the second summation example below).

I think that the mathematical expression below the first paragraph of §22.1.2.53 is illustrative, not normative, so should be enclosed in an example.

I hope that the above uses the term “domain” correctly, i.e. the set of values over which the operation is evaluated.

Francis