Clause 9: Physical package

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Tue Apr 17 07:14:45 CEST 2018

Dear colleagues,

I am reviewing Clause 9 (physical package) of OPC.

Here are some ideas (to be discussed in the next teleconference).

1. Use "abstract model" rather than "package model", although "package
model" is heavily used now.

2. Use "abstract package", "physical package", or "package" (if obvious
from the context).

3. Drop 9.2.3.4 (Setting a Part Media Type in the Media Types Stream) and
9.2.3.5 (Determining a Part Media Type from the Media Types Stream).
Clearly specify semantics in 9.2.3.2 (Media Types Stream Markup).

4. Do not use "physical package format".  Instead, use "physical format"
(such as ZIP) or "physical model" (the combination of a physical
format and a mapping from abstract packages), depending on the
context.

5. Merge 9.3.6 ZIP Package Limitations and Annex B. Both are
about OPC-specific restrictions on ZIP.

6. Use "ZIP file" rather than "ZIP archive", since the PKWARE
specification uses the former.  Likewise, use "ZIP archive format"
rather than "ZIP file format".

7. Clearly specify physical package items.

8. Continue to use "ZIP item", although this term is never used in the
ZIP file format specification.

9. Explicitly state that the general purpose bit 11 shall be set,
if ZIP item names use Unicode characters beyond UTF-8.

10. Do we allow ZIP files to contain zip items not representing parts?
29500-1 allows unknown parts (9.1.4) and trash items (9.1.5),. but
disallows invalid parts (9.1.6).