DR 16-0007 - specific requests for clarification from the Excel team

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Tue Apr 17 12:40:59 CEST 2018

My thanks to Aarti and the Excel team for their response.

Here are my conclusions so far as resolution of the outstanding issues in DR
16-0007 are concerned.

§18.8.34 rgbColor

My original proposal was to make the attribute @rgb required in the schema.
On the basis of the response from the Excel team, I now propose that instead
we leave the attribute as optional but add a default value of 0 to the
schema.

§18.10.1.8 calculatedItem

This is a pivotTable element, so this issue has been moved to DR 18-0007.
The Excel team have responded that the @field attribute is not used by
Excel, which always uses references contained within the child element
pivotArea (see CT_PivotArea). I therefore propose that an extra sentence be
added to the description of the attribute @field:

Specifies the index of the pivotField with which this calculated item is
associated. If this attribute is omitted, the associated fields are
specified by the contents of the element.

§18.13.3 dbPr

The Excel team have explained that, although Excel requires the use of the
@command attribute, other implementations may not require a command to be
specified. We could add a sentence to the description of the @command
attribute to make it clear that an implementation is not required to specify
it, but probably the best approach is to do nothing.

§18.14.5 definedName

The explanation from the Excel team indicates that omission of the @refersTo
attribute is possible and may, for example, indicate that the range in the
external workbook to which the name applies cannot be resolved (e.g. named
sheet does not exist in the external workbook). I therefore propose the
following revision of the description of this attribute:

Named range definition string. The attribute is optional.

If we’re happy with these proposed resolutions, I think that clears up all
the remaining items in DR 16-0007 (excluding those moved to DR 18-0007), so
we should be able to close DR 16-0007.

Kind regards,

Francis