Welcome and announcements

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Wed Dec 16 12:15:41 CET 2009

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34/WG 6 OpenDocument Format

Message to all WG 6 members from Francis Cave, WG 6 Convenor

Welcome to WG 6 and welcome to our email distribution system, kindly hosted
by the University of Economics, Prague.

The purpose of this mailing list is to enable informal discussion among WG 6
members about technical and other issues relating to the maintenance of
ISO/IEC 26300:2006, and for the posting of informal announcements by the WG
6 Convenor. All formal communication will be in documents issued through the
SC 34 Secretariat. In accordance with SC 34 policy, all postings to this
mailing list will be available in a publicly-accessible archive at
http://mailman.vse.cz/pipermail/sc34wg6/, also kindly hosted by the
University of Economics, Prague.

If you are in receipt of this email, it is because you have been nominated
by a national body or liaison member of SC 34 as an expert member of WG 6.
If you have received this email in error, please inform us and we will
correct our records.

The first meeting of WG 6 took place in Paris, France, on 2009-12-04. Notes
of that meeting are available as document SC 34 N 1338 from the SC 34
Secretariat website (http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/). It was agreed at
the Paris meeting that we would continue to use the SC 34 document library
as a repository for WG 6 documents until it becomes clear that a separate
repository is needed. Note that the access level of WG 6 documents is
dictated by JTC 1 rules, so not all documents are publicly-accessible. See
the JTC 1 Directives Annex HD for further information on document access
classification.

The Paris meeting also agreed that WG 6 should meet by teleconference as
necessary, with the first teleconference to take place on 2010-03-17, just
prior to the next SC 34 Plenary meeting in Stockholm, Sweden. According to
JTC 1 rules, at least three months' notice must be given of the first
teleconference meeting. The meeting has now been announced in document SC 34
N 1340. Details of how to participate in this meeting will be circulated one
month prior to the meeting. If you have any suggestions for alterations to
the draft agenda, please send them to me or post them to this list.

It is planned to hold a face-to-face meeting in Stockholm on 2010-03-25/26,
immediately prior to the SC 34 Plenary. A separate announcement will be made
about that in due course. Please note that, although this will be a
face-to-face meeting, we will endeavour to arrange teleconference
facilities, preferably using Skype, for those who wish to participate in
some or all of the meeting but are unable to travel to Stockholm. The
face-to-face meeting will probably be scheduled as two sessions: 2010-03-25
from 14:00 to 17:30 CET; and 2010-03-26 from 09:00 to 12:30 CET. The meeting
announcement will include a request for SC 34 members to register
participants to attend the meeting, and to indicate where a participant
wishes to join the meeting by teleconference.

May I draw your attention to the ballot on ISO/IEC 26300:2006/DCOR 1, which
was announced in document SC 34 N 1337. National Body members of SC 34 have
until 2010-03-08 to respond to this ballot.

I look forward to working with you on the maintenance of ISO/IEC 26300:2006.

Francis Cave

Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34/WG 6