Identifying the locations of errata/corrigenda changes

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Mon Jan 11 00:29:49 CET 2010

Frances, you got me thinking further about this.

I wonder if the "replace 'x' with 'y'" approach could be simplified, even
improved somewhat, in many cases by using revision marking, showing how to
start with 'x' and transform it to 'y' by strike-outs for the removals and
underscores beneath the insertions.  It appears that we have the technology.

Conveying such changes in plaintext would take some additional conventions,
as when discussing a change in an e-mail or as part of a JIRA issue.  We
already have similar needs to show font changes, emphasis, and so on when
using plaintext.  There are a variety of conventions available for it
showing such features in plaintext.  (Something like wikiMarkup would work
and tends to avoid creating something with angle brackets that is confusing
for some list-archive servers and for mechanical transformation to HTML.)

On first blush, it seems to me that we have the technology.  As we've just
seen here, PDF can carry such formatting without serious difficulty.

 - Dennis