Identifying the locations of errata/corrigenda changes

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Sun Jan 10 23:33:43 CET 2010

Dennis

I much appreciate your thoughts, as well as the historical background.

Unambiguous location of a correction is obviously the key, and I find that
often it is the original text that provides the most effective locator. I
have tended to find that "replace 'x' with 'y'" works as effectively as
anything, even for quite large chunks of text 'x' and 'y'. So much more
effective than the likes of "insert following the fifth word of the second
line of the third paragraph...". The drawback, of course, is that quoting
possibly large chunks of text makes the whole Corrigendum / Errata document
much longer.

Legislatures, such as the UK Parliament with which I am familiar, tend to
use line-numbering on draft legislation and other important texts, but this
works only so long as the texts are formatted as pages. With the increasing
demand to publish draft legislation on the web, where there are many good
reasons for NOT fixing line and page ends, finding an acceptable way of
locating text for Amendments becomes a significant challenge.

Regards,

Francis