An outline proposal

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Wed Oct 13 21:04:05 CEST 2010

Your first proposal condition was
"1. Provide a compressed archive format for general use."
and I was disagreeing with that.

I believe we want a package format for documents, and the intention is to use Zip as the basis.  I trust we will resolve that quickly, because the moment Zip is not the basis I can spend my efforts elsewhere.

When I mean fundamental Zip I mean a constrained subset of PKWare Zip format that works as a packaging form with high portability and is not required to deal with the issues of transporting of archived materials (like TAR, TGZ, PAX [all Unix acronyms for archive formats], and the general Zip archive format).

I expect that a Zip/D would be such a limited profile defined as a free-standing specification.

I don't expect legal issues at that level and don't see any reason to consider alternatives because of legal issues unless there are any.

Microsoft OPC is specified in ISO/IEC IS 29500-2:2006 and the last time I checked, it is an ISO Standard.  OPC is also used in XPS (XML Paper Specification [last time I checked], an ECMA specification for final-form formats suitable to submission to printers, I believe) and are interesting for their rationalization of inter-part dependencies within a package and also referencing parts via external-to-the package IRI Reference resolvers.

I use Zip/D, Zip/D0, ..., Zip/D2 as conceptual placeholders for the kind of thing I suspect we are after here and what I would like to encourage, at least through Zip/D1, or Zip/D+XML or whatever we'd call it.

 - Dennis