The other proposal

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 19 19:42:27 CEST 2010

sc34wg1study-bounces at vse.cz wrote on 10/19/2010 12:51:52 PM:

> I've put forward a proposal Bob.
> Lacking no other.

Lack no longer, Dave.  I gave three proposals last week:

http://mailman.vse.cz/pipermail/sc34wg1study/2010-October/000019.html

And here's another one:

I'm adverse to reinventing the wheel here.

Remember, the scope of the original proposal include as a first
requirement:

"Specification of a minimal compressed archive format suitable for
immediate use with the document standards named above".

The mentioned standards included ODF, OOXML, Widgets, EPUB.  All of these,
in their latest versions, use the ZIP format according to the ZIP
Application Note.

Note the phrase, "suitable for immediate use".  This could be interpreted
in many ways, none of which suggests to me starting from basic principles
and producing a new compression/archiving format from scratch.

I'm certainly willing to volunteer my time to help this WG develop a
reasonable proposal that harmonizes some of the archiving conventions
currently in use by these other formats.  There is some good to be gained
by doing this. But I have a high degree of certainty that any attempt to
propose a packaging specification that diverges significantly from current
industry practice in this area will fail its NWIP ballot.

So I'd suggest that instead of speculating about patents and inventing a
new format, that we try to collect and compare what has actually been done
by other standards in this area.

0) Give URL's to the ZIP Application Note and the packaging specifications
for ODF, OOXML, Widgets, EPUB, etc.

1) What are the ZIP Application Note "features"?  We should enumerate the
major ones.

2) For document formats that use ZIP, what ZIP features do they require?
We need to know this matrix.

3) What additional conventions do the other standards layer on top of ZIP?
 manifests, .rel files, mimetypes, etc.?

4) What are the commonalities?  What are their differences?  Of these
differences, do any contradict each other, e.g., are mutually exclusive?

Anyone have a wiki they can give us access to?

This should all be rather simple once we start analyzing the actual
specifications.

-Rob