DR 09-0026

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sun Mar 1 08:59:06 CET 2009

I was probably the only person in Okinawa who opposed to the addition
of xml:space as proposed in DR 09-0026.  As an expert, I still think
that this addition is not needed.  xml:space is for generic XML tools
such as XML browsers.  Since SpreadsheetML documents are very unlikely
to be displayed by generic XML tools, every OOXML application program
can be hardcoded so that it preserves whitespace, when necessary.
Note that DocBook 5 application programs are required to preserve
whitespace in the verbatim environment even when this attribute is not
specified.  Having said that, as a convenor, I am inclined to close
this issue rather quickly in Prague unless others also oppose to the
addition of xml:space.

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT at asahi-net.or.jp>