DR-09-0034 (was "Re: DR-09-0032 and DR-09-0034")

Caroline Arms caar at loc.gov
Tue Mar 3 16:58:13 CET 2009

Shawn and Murata-san,

I strongly agree with Murata-san that mediatypes should be registered with IANA for the OOXML document types.  I actually argued for it a long way back within TC45.  I would be inclined to consult the ODF registrations for an indication of what might be appropriate.  OASIS has registered a series of media types with the shared prefix 'vnd.oasis.opendocument' and I would be inclined to take the same approach for OOXML.  There does seem to be the question of what organization the registration should come from (SC34, ECMA, ??).

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.chart is an example.

Note the security considerations.  I imagine something similar (mentioning the possibility of macros being embedded, privacy, etc.) would be needed for OOXML.

  Caroline Arms

>>> Shawn Villaron <shawnv at exchange.microsoft.com> 02/24/09 1:00 PM >>>
Murata-san,

I'd be happy to look into collecting the necessary registration information ( or at least coming up with a starting point for further discussions ).  To ensure that I provide the intended information, could you please verify that we'll need to register the content/media types identified in DR-09-0034 by filling out the form found here: http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mediatypes.pl ?

As I understand it, we'll need the following information ( in addition to what we already have ):

Required parameters
Optional parameters
Encoding considerations
Security considerations
Interoperability considerations
Published Specification
Applications using this type
Magic number(s)
File extension(s)
Mac File Type(s)
OID(s)

If you could verify that this in the information request, I'll start pulling this information together.

Thank you,

shawn