Creation of test document and/or document interop test suites

Doug Mahugh Doug.Mahugh at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 19 18:20:40 CET 2009

Hi Jesper,

I think it would be great for WG4 members to participate in the work Fraunhofer is doing.  Microsoft is a participant and we've been working with Fraunhofer to kick off the project, but it's open to participation by anyone, and I hope many experts will be able and willing to contribute.  There is an upcoming DII workshop scheduled for Cambridge, UK on April 27 that Fraunhofer will lead, and the primary purpose of that event will be to refine the plans for the document test suite and validator.  I'll share details of that event with WG4 soon.  Anyone who has opinions about how to proceed is welcome to participate.  Microsoft will host the event, but I think we'll only have a couple of people there.  (I'm not able to attend myself.)

Regarding the question of our resources within WG4, I do believe we should strive to keep WG4 focused on the task of IS29500 maintenance.  So it seems to me that the best way to get involved may be as individuals, or representatives of our employers or other organizations, rather  than through WG4 itself.

Perhaps somebody with more JTC1/SC34 experience than me can comment, but I believe there's something in the Directives about not getting involved in conformance testing or similar activities.  Do I remember that correctly?  But in any case, that's just a potential issue for WG4 itself, and not for each of us as  members.  I hope WG4 members will get involved in the Fraunhofer project, because there is much directly relevant expertise represented within WG4.

Regards,
Doug