Japanese text layout requirements

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Wed Nov 18 04:24:53 CET 2009

(Wearing my Japanese hat)

The Japanese SC34 mirror hopes that future OOXML extensions will
better address Japanese text layout requirements.

One important source of such requirements is the Japanese Layout Task
Force of W3C.  The home page of this task force is available.  One
working draft, namely "Requirements for Japanese Layout", has been
published.  In March 2010, another working draft (which covers more
advanced features) is expected to appear.  These documents are based
on JIS X 4051 "Formatting rules for Japanese documents".

http://www.w3.org/2007/02/japanese-layout/

At this stage, we are not ready to submit a new work item proposal or
commit to editorship or some publication schedule.  However, we plan
to study the requirement documents and identify some
small-but-far-reaching extensions.

We can imagine that other languages and cultures have similar
requirements.  We cordially request that WG4 be receptive.

Regards,

Japanese mirror for SC34
MURATA Makoto