The future of "Transitional": Japanese concern

Rick Jelliffe rjelliffe at allette.com.au
Thu Nov 19 11:01:00 CET 2009

(My background for having an opinion for this is that I used to work in
the Japanese publishing industry in SGML, that I have produced a
Chinese/English typesetting system for a Singapore client for the PRC
trade laws system, that I was employed in Taiwan for several years to
research in the area of CJK page structures that were not supported well
by Western-sourced software, that I was a member of the CJK DOCP experts
group on document processing, a former member of the W3C I18n SIG.  The
Japanese and Koreans can speak for their own requirements, but I can
speak for what I have seen and used in the region,  in support of them.)

BACKGROUND COMMENT

As a general background comment, I think we non-CJK-ers are not in a
good position to judge how necessary some feature claimed to be required
for CJK processing is. I think we need to *strongly* defer to the
particular National Bodies in this area: if the CJK NBs say they need
something, I recommend  NBs adopt a policy of voting "concur" on
whatever technical outcomes arises, once strategic issues such as the
relationship between S & T are resolved.

A group of European experts can reasonably be expected to be able to
discuss whether so-called French Spacing should be supported as well as
so-called English Spacing.  They will have looked at enough authentic
documents to have an idea of how it looks, the best way to support it,
which kinds of publishing uses it, whether anyone cares, whether it is
already supported by other means, and so on.

But I think there are many CJK issues where,  though the technical
issues be arcane but graspable, the non-CJK NBs are not in a strong
position to make any opposing statements about how important or
desirable a feature is.

Despite this, it is frequently the habit of us loud Westerners on
standards bodies to take the attitude "Because you cannot prove you need
it, we are not in a position to approve it."  In effect it means that
only things that are also found in Western typesetting are allowed, or
the grossest or most jarring features only (LTR, ideographs, etc). I
think several of us have seen this over the years: Japan's plea at the
BRM "please do not block us" is something that should not have needed to
be said, in a perfect world.

Now of course, SC34 is highly internationalized, and i18n has everyone's
goodwill and commitment, and the CJK NBs are in the driver's seat for
the Secretariat and so on. So please I am not trying to cry wolf nor
light fires. I don't think a white guy can play the race card by proxy!

TECHNICAL COMMENT ON GRIDS

I would like to confirm that the W3C note on Japanese Text Layout at
http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/  is very good and worth support, not just
for Japanese typesetting, but for many kinds of Chinese typesetting too.
Indeed, many of the typesetting rules for other counties in the region
are regional adaptations of Japanese analysis.

The W3C note might be a little clearer to non-Japanese if it substituted
a term like "grid layout" rather than kihon-hanmen.

But I think it is reasonable to say that the grid is a fundamental
graphical principle for modern and historical CJK print (more obvious in
some periods than others.) Japanese and Chinese learn to write in grids
at school. This is not to say that the characters are always neatly in
their boxes or in half-width boxes, or that kerning is not used, or that
type is always solid, or that there are not other objects that can
interrupt the grid.

Art alert!
For an extreme example from calligraphy, see this:
http://www.nigensha.co.jp/kokyu/en/c09.html
For a less overt example: http://www.nigensha.co.jp/kokyu/en/p06.html
For an example of flexibility within the grid, see this:
http://www.nigensha.co.jp/kokyu/en/c21.html
For an example of the grid used in traditional culture, see fan 6:
http://www.nigensha.co.jp/kokyu/en/c20.html
Or the vertical text at the bottom:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/japanese%20magazine%20layout/trfjason/tamiya_ta051.jpg

Perhaps one way to explain one of the issues is to use the analogy of
tables:  we can specify a table width in a few ways: one way is to
specify a *measurement* like standard column width (and the table is as
wide as that number times the number of columns);   and another way is
to specify a *count* that there are x number of columns all the same
size (and the column widths are the table width/x).   Most systems allow
a combination of all these methods, because people apply different
graphical ideas to different tables. However, for paragraphs and lines,
Western typesetting systems support only a *measurement* approach while
the CJK grid is much more like  a *count* based approach:  I want to fit
twenty lines vertically each with 50 characters (in the design font and
size)."

I agree with Murata-sensei's comment "I guess that it is possible to
create OOXML extensions so that documents can contain specifications in
terms of KIHONHAMEN *as well as* margins."

But while the grid parameters can be converted for any one frozen page
into combinations of margins, line spacing, tracking, kerning, etc,
and  opened and displayed in a non-grid-aware OOXML system, I would
expect that editing the text in the non-grid-aware system would
eventually mess up this hardcoded formatting to some extent. Think of
how horrible it is to enter a table width in percents, then move it over
to an external system that has converted everything to inches! The
kihon-hanmen approach seems a very simple way to specify important
parameters of page, paragraph and line design with just a few
parameters, for pages of CJK text.

I read that Office 10 is supporting more of the Open Font features: it
would be useful to know what the impact would be on things like
baselines, kerning and linespacing.

Features for CJK that have existing fallbacks using MCE have the big
advantage that they can be added to OOXML (perhaps in a new part:
"Features which should be used with fallbacks")  without any impact on
implementers'  product cycles or other complicating deadlines.

I would contrast the grid layout with CJK tables in this regard. Full
support of the kinds of complex divisions that one sees in CJK tables
(stemming from the typically compact nature of headings with one or two
letters)  would be quite difficult.   And  it would be really useful to
mirror the changes being proposed for ODF-NG by the Chinese companies in
this regard  (they go a little further than OOXML does with its diagonal
cells, but not as far as I found would be necessary to handle the kinds
of cell divisions seen in CJK printing.)  The Japanese Layout note does
not attempt to deal with issues such as tables, but that does not mean
complex cell divisions are not lurking in the shadows.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

P.S. I think the requirement to figure out policy and relationships
between S & T is essential. Otherwise the WG will make changes ad hoc,
which we then will be stuck with.