My comments on DR 10-0001

rjelliffe at allette.com.au rjelliffe at allette.com.au
Thu Apr 8 05:51:20 CEST 2010

>> Norbert Bollow wrote:
>

>> > so
>> > why not at that time also add text that allows, as a special
>> > exception, the string "1900-02-29" for representing a value that
>> > occurs in some existing (buggy) documents?
>>
>> Because such value is not conforming nor to ISO8601, neither to
> xs:date
>> datatype.

Here are two alternative approaches:

1) Sc34 puts in a request to get IS8601 altered to define this case. Also
request W3C XSD WG to define this case

2) Use the XSD date but define the treatment of dates such as 2000-02-31
as a matter of error recovery. The document with this would not be a
conforming Strict document, and a consumer application may decide to fail
and should report it. I probably favour this approach.

Thinking more in terms of standard error recovery strategies would a
useful tool in our toolbelt. This is how the WhatWG are treating HTML for
example.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe