DR 09-0321 ? OPC: Relationships Markup

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 16 20:36:10 CEST 2010

Hi Murata-san - it's possible there's some other text somewhere which mentions non-ASCII OPC part names, but I don't think they seem to be allowed in IS 29500 as it stands now. Changing the standard now would mean that newer implementations could create IS 29500-compliant files which older implementations couldn't read, despite their content being semantically identical. From the MSFT point of view, I think we'd always have to encode non-ASCII part names just so that Office 2007, Mobile, Mac et cetera could read the files without patching.

I'm not completely against changing this now, but I'm inclined to think that document creators would avoid using the larger character set just so that their files could be opened in IS 29500:1-compliant applications.