DR 09-0172 — WML: Filename-to-IRI mapping

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 30 23:21:08 CEST 2010

http://cid-c8ba0861dc5e4adc.office.live.com/view.aspx/Public%20Documents/2009/DR-09-0172.docx

This DR is concerned with the way in which filenames appear in IRIs in Part 1, 17.16.5.27.

I agree with the premise of the DR - there are mistakes in this section of the standard. I've attached a faux tracked changes document showing the changes necessary to the standard to address this DR. The mention of whitespace appears to have been erroneously added to Part 1 when it actually only applies to fields which permit DOS file paths - DOS file paths are covered by section 9.9.3 in Part 4, so I'm proposing modifying that section to incorporate the whitespace proviso.

The submitter requested that we add an informative note warning about potential security violations - I'm not exactly sure what would go in that note, so I'd be interested in any help we can get on this.

Note: I am including Ruth Schneider, the submitter of this defect, on this mail thread, so it's not just going to WG4. Ruth, thank you very much for submitting this - are you able to help at all with the security note?