Proposed fix for DR 10-0016 ("MCE: Core Concepts")

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Jul 6 20:39:50 CEST 2010

Chris Rae <Chris.Rae at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi guys - I think that we're probably all on the same page with
> regard to subsumption. Its functionality is already covered by other
> mechanisms, and it's hard to implement as written.

+1

... and it needlessly increases overall complexity for no discernable
benefit ...

> I wonder if we could say that applications can either add attributes
> in new namespaces to existing elements, or create entire elements in
> new namespaces, but then give an informative note saying it's a good
> idea not to create the entire element again unless its meaning has
> changed?

+1

> If there's general agreement that subsumption should be removed from
> the standard, I can submit a defect report through Ecma to have it
> removed.

Sounds good to me.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Representative in matters of international standardization
of the Swiss Open Systems User Group /ch/open - http://ch-open.ch

Owner/CEO, Adaptux GmbH - http://adaptux.com
Coaching and Consulting in all areas of informatics management including
Goal-Setting, Strategy Development, Procurement, Day-To-Day Operations,
Software Asset Management, Risk Management, Benefit Orientation Management.