Draft for review: ISO 8601 date work on IS 29500

Jesper Lund Stocholm jesper.stocholm at ciber.dk
Fri Jul 23 09:36:17 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I actually used "formulas" to begin with but changed it to "functions" a
bit down the road. I have absolutely no strong feelings about either or
the other.

My reason for using "functions" is that we (CIBER) is in the "doc
generation business" and not in the "doc consumption business" as
Microsoft and others are. So we will likely be doing much more
generation stuff than consumption stuff.

A pretty straight-forward use-case would be for us to generate a
spreadsheet based on some dates. So we'd have

Column1    | Column2
-----------------------
2010-01-02 | 2010-01-03
2010-01-02 | 2010-01-03
2010-03-12 | 2010-03-14

We would then add a third column containing the difference between the
first two

Column1	| Column2    | Column3
---------------------------------
2010-01-02	| 2010-01-03 | 1
2010-01-02	| 2010-01-03 | 1
2010-03-12	| 2010-03-14 | 2

The markup of the cells of third column would be something like

<Cell r="C3">
  <v>1</v>
  <f>C2-C1</f>
</Cell>

At no point we'd be converting the dates of the first columns to serial
values - and heck, we might even skip the <v>-element itself (I am
pretty sure it is not required). I realize that the tool we'd use to
subtract the dates might internally do a conversion, but as a developer,
I am quite oblivious to this (and should be, really).

So I think The "functions"-word is better (as functions like DATEDIFF
etc take serial values as arguments) since using formulas on cells with
dates in them does not in fact require you to convert it to serial
dates.

But as I said, I do not really consider it a big deal - and I realize
what if we were in the productivity suite business, we'd likely see
things differently.

:o)

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Jesper Lund Stocholm