DR 09-0194 — WML: Use of terminology "id" and "unique identifier"

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 30 18:49:01 CEST 2010

http://cid-c8ba0861dc5e4adc.office.live.com/view.aspx/Public%20Documents/2009/DR-09-0194.docx

I'd like to discuss this DR here on the list if we can. It concerns uses of the terms "id" and "unique identifier" which are inconsistent with their meanings in SGML and XML.

Perhaps unsurprisingly I echo Shawn's position here - changing these now involves altering the standard in 900 places for what is essentially an editorial improvement. The opportunity for errors is very high and I don't think that any reasonable implementer will be confused by the terms. The changes will take someone a large amount of time and I think we have bigger fish to fry as far as fixing errors in the standard goes.

Unless someone in WG4 is able to propose the necessary changes with confidence that no mistakes have been made, I'd like to suggest we reject this DR.