proposal of non-normative regex and text for DR 09-0061, ST_Panose issue

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Sat Jun 11 03:46:47 CEST 2011

Hi Suzuki-san - I've been thinking this one through a bit more, and I'm wondering whether this would be a good use of "should". Could we write something along the lines of:

* [Normative] An application should use genuine Panose-1 values
* [Informative] Genuine Panose-1 values are represented by the following regex [this is informative only because it's information that is technically specified elsewhere, and I would like to avoid inadvertently contradicting the Panose spec]
* [Informative] If invalid Panose-1 values are included, an application should use the following means to pick an alternative [...]

I think this would allow us to include all of the information we want (including the results of Suzuki-san's extensive research), pushing users towards legitimate Panose, while still allowing for documents created that fell foul of the confusing selection of Panose "standards".

Your thoughts,