DR 09-0040: a small test to clarify "chinese language"

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 1 23:08:47 CEST 2011

Hello Suzuki-san; WG4.

I've been investigating this question regarding DR 09-0040 and I now have some further information. I am of the belief that the language component of the language element (eg. the "zh" of "zh-CN") should be the determinant of the font slot, and not the region component (e.g. "CN"). I've updated my draft resolution of DR 09-0040 to reflect that and will circulate it this week.

As Suzuki-san observes, however, this is not what Microsoft Word does. It regards many combinations (zh-CN, zh-TW, etc) as Chinese layout but for others it does not (e.g. zh-MY). I believe this to be an implementation error. Internally, we work from a manually created lookup list of complete language codes and certain unusual combinations simply are not in that list and therefore do not have the classification logic applied. I don't think this is the correct behaviour, and I don't think it should be codified in the standard. Instead, the standard should contain the correct logic (i.e. to base text layout off the language and not the region) and Microsoft should document their differing logic in their implementer notes.

Suzuki-san, would it be an acceptable solution for you if we modified the standard to use language only, and I would get Microsoft to document our differing behaviour in implementer notes?