DR 10-0043 — OPC: Non-ambiguity of DC identifiers

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Sat Sep 10 03:20:36 CEST 2011

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx/Public%20Documents/2010/DR-10-0043.docx?cid=c8ba0861dc5e4adc

This DR concerns wording used to describe Dublin Core properties in Part 2.

I'm not quite sure what the right thing to do is to address this DR. The wording to which the DR objects describes the "identifier" DC property as "An unambiguous reference to the resource within a given context". This wording is copied from the Dublin Core standard itself and I think it's still applicable in this context - the property is intended to be available for use as an identifier for any application which chooses to put an identifier there. It seems like it would make sense for those applications to make the identifiers unique within the scope of what it was doing with them, but I'd agree that this uniqueness ought not to be required by the standard.

I'd be happy changing this wording to read simply "An identifier", but that would mean that the wording was no longer identical to the DC wording, and implies that this identifier has a different use to the DC identifier (which I don't believe it does).

Let's discuss in Busan, but my personal preference would be to close this DR without action.