DR 10-0045 - OPC: Consistency of file length records with a ZIP archive

John Haug johnhaug at exchange.microsoft.com
Tue Sep 27 02:42:02 CEST 2011

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx/Public%20Documents/2010/DR-10-0045.docx?cid=c8ba0861dc5e4adc&sc=documents

Hello all -

I picked up this old DR that's apparently had some discussion but not yet reached a conclusion.  My interpretation of the history here is the core issue to this DR being an inconsistency between §C.1 and Bit 3 in Table C-5.

The ZIP appnote specifies that the three fields in the local file header be set to zero when they are instead present in a trailing data descriptor (§J, general purpose bit flag, Bit 3).  I assume this is why the idea of disallowing zeroes in these fields wasn't workable.  The appnote also specifies that "This descriptor exists only if bit 3 of the general purpose bit flag is set (see below)."

Perhaps I'm looking at this too simply, but since removing the statement in C.1 wasn't amenable, would the attached clarification to it be sufficient?  It seems to be consistent with our discussion yesterday.

John