What is or is not a legacy feature?

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Tue Feb 21 15:57:33 CET 2012

I have recently needed to review the way that form controls can be
represented in OOXML. It seems that there are two approaches, and both of
these are documented in Part 1. The first approach is to use fields as
documented in section 17.16. The second approach is to use structured
document tags as documented in section 17.5.

There seems to be a fair amount of overlap in functionality between these
two approaches, and this has caused me to wonder whether one of these
(probably the use of fields) should be considered a "legacy" approach and
moved to Part 4.

There appears to be some support for doing just that in an unlikely place:
in the Microsoft Word 2007 / 2010 user interface. The tools for inserting
form fields into a document are grouped together in a box labelled "Legacy
Forms".

I'd be interested to hear expert opinions on this.

Cheers,

Francis